Religious Scriptures starts the path of enlightenment! There are several places in the world with the belief that God was supposed to have left footprints of his presence, divine presence. One such place with interminable charm is Rishikesh!
Located near the foothills of the Himalayas, in the state of Uttarakhand; this sacred city has a pleasant atmosphere. The holy river Ganges, accredited temples, sacred atmosphere and other eloquent attributes welcome you to the Mother Nature of Rishikesh.
Globally known as the pious town of saints & scholars; this small city witnessed many pristine sacred activities & events. There are many names used to address this city such as; "Gateway to the Garhwal Himalayas" & "Yoga Capital of the World".
Rishikesh also witnesses the famous "Kumbh Yatra' & "Shravan Yatra" in which a large number of devotees mark their presence. Some of the Yatras to extremely religious place such as Badrinath, Kedarnath, Gangotri & Yamunotri starts from here.
Surrounded by the hills on three sides; this religious town is located at an altitude of 356 meters. There are many tourists’ attractions that include a large number of temples, ashrams & other spiritual places.
Some of them are:
• Lakshman Jhula: With the belief that Lord Lakshmana crossed the river Ganga on jute ropes on the same place where this bridge is built; this bridge is the major attraction among tourists globally.
• Bharat Mandir: Situated in the heart of the main city of Rishikesh; Bharat Mandir Temple was built by Adiguru Shankaracharya around the 12th century.
• Neelkanth Mahadev: If we go through Mythology, we cane to know that Lord Shiva consumed the poison originated from the ocean in order to protect the entire earth. The place where he did this act of greatness presently known as Neelkanth Mahadev Temple.
• Kunjapuri Temple: Kunjapuri Temple in Rishikesh is among the Siddhi/Shakti Peeths in India; this is the same place where the chest of burned Sati (wife of Lord Shiva & reincarnation of goddess Parvati). had fallen.
• Parmarth Niketan: Famous for substantial work on Hindusim and known globally for its evening Ganga Aarti; Parmarth Niketan is the ashram and temple area located in Ramjhua, just a few km away from the main city of Rishikesh.
• Triveni Ghat: A famous bathing ghat in Rishikesh; Triveni Ghat offers pleasant & soothing evening Maa Ganga Aarti. It is to be believed that taking a holy dip into the water of this ghat will wash away all the sins.
• Vasishtha Cave: A peaceful & serene destination in Rishikesh; Vashishta Guha is the best place for penance & meditation. It is to be said that Rishi Vashishta & his wife, Arundhati did a penance here to overcome from the sorrow of their children's death.
These are a few pilgrimage attractions in Rishikesh. The list is long; which can be better understood by experiencing!